Amending Tax Returns with the IRS

How Do You Amend Your Federal Income Tax Return?

If you discover an error or mistake after you file your federal income tax return, Form 1040, it can be corrected by filing an amended income tax return. Here are some of the basic rules and concepts to keep in mind that the IRS wants you to keep in mind if faced with this problem:

When Should You Amend

You should file an amended return if any of the following apply to your tax situation:

  • Your filing status, your dependents, your total income or your deductions or credits were reported incorrectly.
  • Receiving amended Form 1099s, or Form K-1s from partnerships, estates and trusts.
  • Any other errors or inaccuracies on your return

When Should You Not Amend

In some cases, you do not need to amend your tax return. The IRS usually corrects math errors or requests missing forms – such as W-2s or schedules – when processing an original return. In these instances, do not amend your return.

What Form Should Be Used: Form 1040X

Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to amend a previously filed Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. Make sure you check the box for the year of the return you are amending on the Form 1040X. Amended tax returns cannot be filed electronically.

What Should You Do If You Are Amending Multiple Years

If you are amending more than one year’s tax return, prepare a 1040X for each return and mail them in separate envelopes to the appropriate IRS processing center.

Some Hints On Completing Form 1040X

The Form 1040X has three columns. Column A shows original figures from the original return. Column C shows the corrected figures. The difference between Column A and C is shown in Column B. There is an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes and the reason for the change. Be sure to be clear and detailed as to these details on the back page so as to maximize your chances of successfully filing this amended return.

Attachments Must Be Part of the Amended Return

Be sure to attach to the Form 1040X other forms or schedules, if the changes involve other schedules or forms.7

Refund Claim Still Pending From Original Return: Wait To Receive It Before Filing Form 1040X

If you are filing to claim an additional refund, wait until you have received your original refund before filing Form 1040X. Once you receive that check, you may cash it while waiting for any additional refund that may come from the filing of Form 1040X.

Additional Taxes Due As the Result of Filing Form 1040X

If you going to owe additional tax, you should file Form 1040X and pay the tax as soon as possible to limit interest and penalty charges.

When Must You File Form 1040X For a Refund

Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within three years from the date you filed your original return or within two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

What is the Usual and Normal Processing Time

Usually the processing time for amended returns is 8 to 12 weeks.

Final Warning

These amended returns can be quite tricky, so do not hesitate to contact our office if you need assistance.


1420 Walnut Street Suite 300
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Telephone: 215-735-2336
Fax: 215-985-1666

Connect With Us:


In order to help you more quickly, please
fill out the form and click “submit”.
A representative of the firm will call you shortly.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

From their offices in Philadelphia, PA, the law firm of Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C. provides a full range of estate planning, probate and estate administration, tax, business and corporate legal services to clients throughout eastern Pennsylvania and the Delaware Valley, the Lehigh Valley Area, the Five-County Area, Bucks County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Chester County, Philadelphia County, Berks County, Lehigh County, Lancaster County, York County, Harrisburg, Norristown, Doylestown, Media, West Chester, Allentown, Lancaster, and Reading.